2/24/2008

Busy Weekend

This weekend (or really Thurs-Sat morning) my dad came down for a visit. He had some business to take care of in Dallas so he spent some time with us. It was great getting to see him although it made me miss the rest of my family a lot. I have decided that Arkansas is pretty much useless and it should be removed from the US completely. That way Texas would be much closer to Tennessee. We would still have a long drive to see most of the family but at least it would be manageable over a long weekend. Plus, if you have ever been through the state, you would know that it is beyond ugly. I mean, I have friends who purposely go a different route back to Knoxville just to avoid Arkansas all together.

While my dad was in town, he took us out to eat at restaurants Clay and I would not go by our poor own selves (always a treat). Friday night we decided to go to a Japanese place that we had heard was AMAZING....it was nowhere near as good as Wasabi. Then again, my dad pointed out that he has traveled all over and never found a place as good as Wasabi. If I win the lottery, I am totally going to build a Wasabi here. While dinner was not as good as I had hoped for (it was actually pretty good just not the best) the dinner itself did provide for one of the funnier moments of my week. The Hibachi chef was doing the standard routine. You know the deal: make a face out of oil then set it on fire, various egg tricks (all pretty impressive) and the finale being making a volcano out of the onion. Like you, I have seen these same tricks many a time. So, imagine my surprise when a lady (around the age of 45ish) was amazed by the onion volcano. She then proceeded to say how she had NEVER seen that before! Even the chef was like "seriously you have never seen this?" I began to fear that she would pass out from excitement when the volcano became a choo-choo train...Oh, how I love sharing a meal with strangers.
Then, it came time for the chef to give out the various sauces. As he was handing them out, I politely asked if they had white sauce or shrimp sauce. I have heard it referred to as both. He looked quite puzzled. So I asked again...and again. Finally, he asked if I meant seafood sauce and I said sure. The chef then sent a waitress over to the sushi bar to bring back my sauce. I miss going to a place where all you get is the shrimp sauce. :(


Saturday morning, we took my dad for some donuts (the Asian made ones of course--they are the best) and then it was on to the airport. I was very sad to see him go but he is going to visit again in May so that is something to look forward to. After the airport, Clay and I went into downtown Dallas. It was our first trip to the city and it wasn't as big as I had expected. Then again, buildings are not very tall here; everything is very flat and spread out. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to explore -- another day, another blog. Our pastor, Toby, gave us tickets to a Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover Live event. If you haven't checked into Ramsey's Financial Peace stuff, you really should. It is a great common sense approach to living debt-free and really building wealth. I would recommend it to anyone no matter what your financial situation is.

So this weekend was rather busy, but it was a really fun one as well.

No comments: