2/10/2008

Can't you just be cool?

So a funny thing happened to me the other day. I fear that I will not be able to convey how humorous it really was in this post but here goes. After church on Saturday night, I stopped at Walmart to get some gas. As I was pumping gas, a kid skated up to me. He may have had the largest afro I have ever seen on a white kid. It was pretty impressive and I should have thought to take a picture. I was wearing my United (our student ministry) leader shirt and I immediately thought that he had recognized the logo. We have a pretty cool skate park and although I didn't think I recognized him maybe he had been a few times. Yeah, this was not the case.

He proceeded to ask if I would buy him some cigarettes. For some reason, my first statement is that I can't because I don't have any cash (as if the credit card I just bought gas with would not possibly be able to purchase any). Then I decided that a better reason was that there is no way on earth this kid was 18. He explained to me that he had forgotten his ID and would give me the money to buy them. Again I declined. I really didn't think it would be good to contribute to the delinquency of a minor while in my "church" shirt. After I said no because I was not sure he was 18 he replied with, "C'mon can't you just be cool?" I told him I was way too old to be cool any more. To which he replied, "What are you like 30?" Yeah kid, there is no way I am buying you cigarettes now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is a great story.... i love it.