3/29/2008

Conversations with Brooks

Tonight, I had to work the Saturday service. Normally, my time is spent making coffee and setting out cookies, then trying to stay busy during the actual service so I don't hear what Toby (our pastor) says. Let me clarify that last statement, I go to church with Clay on Sunday and if I listen to the teaching the night before I am always a line or two ahead so I prefer to just listen at 11:15 along with Clay. Tonight was a special night because I got to look after Brooks Day. Brooks is the 3 (almost 4) year old son of one of our children's pastors. He was having a rough time since his mom had to work so he hung out with me. Probably not the best precedent to set but it was fun for me nonetheless.

As we were playing in the cry room (you know, the room at church with toys and rockers and a tv for moms to watch the service if their kid won't stay quiet) Brooks contently played with toys that are made for kids years younger than he and explained to me that these toys were all easy. As he sat there, the tv played Toby's teaching. We just started a sex series called "The Naked Truth" and I was kinda worried Brooks might pick up on some things that were said. Fortunately, it seemed that Brooks was focused on the "easy toys" until Toby described Adam and Eve and how they were "naked". Never in my life have I seen a kid's head whip around so fast. "Naked!" he exclaimed. "Christy, why were they naked?" Not being a mom myself, I wasn't sure what I should say so I just went with, "Well, it was bath time."

The night was filled with fun conversations and random questions that to a 3 year old seem oh so important. But the best conversations came at the end of the night:

Brooks: Do you have any kids of yours?
Me: No, not yet.
Brooks: But don't you gots a little brother?
Me: Nope, I don't have anything.
Brooks: Is God going to give you some kids?
Me: Maybe one day
Brooks: But not today?

No, Brooks, not today and not for a lot of days. One night with Brooks will keep the "kid need" fulfilled for awhile. Too bad they don't come as almost 4 years olds when you first get them...I could probably deal with that.

4 comments:

Andi Hawkins said...

I didnt even know you had a blog!! That story about Brooks is so cute. I do have to add that you looked very natural holding a baby in service this morning...

Shelby said...

i will let you keep ryker for a day, then you will want one!! :)

Steven said...

So, I saw the title and definitely thought you blogged about me - but I digress. Entertaining nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

that is a great story about a great kid and I am so proud of him for keeping it very rated G for you!!!!! he has been know to say---come on monte, let's go home and get naked!!!! thanks tons for watching him for me......